WHY INVEST IN SAGWAN:
- Teak(sagwan) will not make you uncomfortable by holding either heat or cold.
- Metal and even plastic patio furniture will be burning hot when left in the sun,
- while wood moderates heat and will still be comfortable to the touch.
- Metal or plastic patio furniture will also absorb cold.
- The night may have been cold but the patio furniture will still be comfortable, if it is wood.
Soil condition: pH 6.5-7.5, carbon must be
Plants maturity period:10-12 years for tissue culture sagwan plants, 12-14 years for hybrid sagwan plants.
Planting Methods :
Teak can be planted at 2.5m x 3 m or 3m x 3m espacement. It can also be raised along with agricultural crops at a spacing of 4m x 4m or 5m x 5m.
• Plough lands thoroughly and level it of. Mark the areas for pit digging by alignment and staking.
• Dig pits of 45 x 45 x 45 cm sizes. Refill the soil after seasoning and mixing with Farm Yard Manure and insecticides. On poor gravely sites, replace the pit soil by good soil.
• Use pre sprouted stumps or polypots for planting.
• Firm up the soil after planting and apply irrigation wherever necessary.
• Apply 100 g of compost fertiliser in pit at the time of planting and thereafter in split doses or as per the fertility status of soil.
• Carry out weeding operations regularly. Weeding may be carried out @ 3 operations in the first year, 2 operations in second year and one operation in the third year.
• Carry out soil working periodically for better growth of plants. One working in the Ist year and two workings in 2 nd and 3rd year may be adequate.
• Debudding in the initial years may be done to improve the quality of timber.
Study has revealed that, irrigation during stress period boosts the growth of the plants. Irrigation should be followed by weeding (3,2,1) and adequate soil working. Two doses of fertiliser (in the month of August & September) @ 50 gm per plant of NPK (15:15:15) may be provided every year upto three years. By increasing the inputs of irrigation and frequent thinning, it is possible to increase the rate of diameter growth.